I Spy Bird Houses, Window Birdhouses
Are you a birder? Do you own any of the I Spy Bird houses? In case your answer to any of the two or to both of the mentioned questions is a yes then you must understand the steps to clean the bird house. You must also understand that cleaning the birdhouse is a necessary activity that will prevent your own home as well as backyard from insects and pests. Moreover, it will keep the residing birds free of diseases. Like humans, birds also prefer to stay in neat and clean homes.
Why Should You Clean Birdhouses
The first reason to clean a birdhouse is that a dirty bird house does not look attractive to backyard birds. Unclean and unkempt birdhouses can be encroached by rodents, insects, mites, snakes as well as fungi instead of cute tiny birds.
Keeping the bird house clean reduces infestation by unwanted elements. A neat and clean home attracts nesting birds from near and far.
In case you want your bird house to always be full of chirpy birds you must see to it that the birdhouse guards the birds from danger and uncertainties. Ensuring that the birds feel safe in their nest is crucial. You will have to provide the birds with food and water at all times. Moreover, you will have to see to it that the birdhouse has provisions for proper ventilation; there is sufficient space for the nestlings to hatch and grow; the entry hole is appropriately sized for the birds to get in and out, etc.
When Should You Begin the Cleaning Process
The right time to clean a birdhouse is when the birds and their nestlings have completely fledged. In case they no longer return, it means that they have completed their stay and will not come back. Most birds brood only once. However, in certain regions of the world, certain bird species that raise multiple broods exist. In this case, cleaning can be done between each new brooding season. To know whether the bird house is occupied or empty, gently tap on either the sides or the roof of the house. If you hear a scuffling sound it means that there are birds inside the birdhouse.
Steps to Clean the Birdhouse
In order to clean a birdhouse properly, follow the following steps:
- Open the bird house to an extent that you are able to properly clean the inside. Partially disassembling the birdhouse may also be required for cleaning the birdhouse properly. Those birdhouses that have hinged roofs or removable fronts are simple enough to clean.
- The second step, which is actually the first step of actual cleaning, is to remove all the nesting material from inside of window birdhouses. Scrape out any clumped matter that exists. Dispose the waste in a plastic bag, away from the birdhouse, out of your backyard.
- Scrub the birdhouse and rinse thoroughly with clean water. Thereafter, dry the birdhouse completely.
- Check the house for things like hinges, screws, splinters or any other thing that might hurt or injure either an adult or a hatching bird.
- Inspect the drainage and ventilation holes of the birdhouse. See if they are obstructed. In case they are, remove the obstruction.
- If you have disassembled the house,you can now reassemble it and secure the nuts and bolts.
- Decorate it a bit with twigs and grass to give the home a nice and cozy look.
If you give the birds a neat and secure place to live and nest in, they will happily use it. Treat them nicely, and you will have a delightful time watching them from the comforts of your own home.